In this busy season, I love having a few easy meals that I can have ready in just a few minutes. These Mexican Tostada Pizzas are simple to prepare and loved by kids and grown ups for the simple fact that I decided to call them pizzas.
My kids ask for pizza every week and they also love tacos and burritos. I married the two to create Mexican Tostada Pizzas.
The preparation is simple. Lay out 10 tostadas on two large jelly roll pans. Heat the refried beans for a minute and a half in the microwave. By heating them in advance, it makes the beans easier to spread. I love black refried beans, but use any kind you like or have on hand.
Using a small spatula, gently spread the beans across each tostada. Be careful – you don’t want to break the tostadas. (On second thought, I don’t suppose it much matters, but they look nicer if they’re whole.)
Over the beans, spread a layer of tomatillo salsa. Then sprinkle on the cheese, bell pepper, tomatoes, and green onions.
Bake the “pizzas” for 10 minutes. Garnish the pizzas with your choice of toppings: cilantro, sour cream, or taco sauce. We have a couple of Mexican style salad dressings, cilantro lime and avocado, and those made excellent sauces to top the pizzas as well.
This meal was on the table in under 30 minutes. The most time consuming part is chopping the vegetables. You could have this meal on the table faster if you pre-chopped the vegetables.
If your life is busy like mine, add these Mexican Tostada Pizzas to your list of quick dinners and enjoy!
- 10 tostadas
- 15 oz can black refried beans
- 1 c tomatillo salsa
- 1 c cheddar cheese
- ½ c red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ c tomatoes, chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat the refried beans for 1½ minutes.
- Place 10 tostadas on two large jelly roll pans. Spread the warm refried beans evenly over each tostada. Spoon the tomatillo salsa over the top of the refried beans.
- Top each tostada with cheddar cheese, red pepper, tomatoes, and green onions.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve the tostadas. Garnish with cilantro and sour cream or Mexican salad dressing (avocado or cilantro lime).